Matthew Blackett practices in the areas of entertainment litigation, intellectual property litigation, and business litigation. Mr. Blackett is admitted to practice in California and New York.
Mr. Blackett served on the legal team for Terry Bollea (aka Hulk Hogan) against Gawker Media, LLC, et al. which resulted in a $140 million jury trial award. Mr. Blackett focuses much of his practice on Internet law and reputation protection including the removal of objectionable and illegal content from the Internet.
Mr. Blackett received his LL.B Law degree from the University of Surrey in 2010, with a minor in International Studies, where he participated in Moot Court competitions.
Before joining HMA, Mr. Blackett worked for the law firm PSB Law LLP in London, where he worked on, among other cases, a defamation claim brought by a former UK cabinet minister, multiple cases related to the 2012 UK telephone voicemail hacking scandal and a commercial case involving a high-profile fashion brand.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
ENTERTAINMENT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LITIGATION
- Right of Publicity
- Privacy Rights, including TROs and Injunctions
- Defamation (Libel and Slander)
- First Amendment
- Profit Participation, Royalty and Audit Matters
- Internet Domain Name Disputes and Cybersquatting
- Prevention and Cure of Unlawful Conduct on the Internet, including Social Media
GENERAL BUSINESS LITIGATION
- Breach of Contract
- Business Torts including Fraud, Breach of Fiduciary Duty, Constructive Fraud, Tortious Interference with Business Relations, Conversion, Unjust Enrichment and Professional Negligence
- TRO and Injunction Proceedings
Co-Author, Privacy Interests Prevail in Sacramento, Los Angeles Daily Journal (October 3, 2014)
- Member, British-American Bar Association of Southern California
- New York, 2013
- California, 2014
- Bachelor of Law (LLB Hons.), Law with International Studies (2010), University of Surrey, U.K.