Seema Ghatnekar Tilak practices in the areas of entertainment, intellectual property, and business litigation. She was a member of Hulk Hogan’s successful 2016 trial team against Gawker Media which resulted in a $140 million jury verdict. She is a developing legal expert in the areas of cyber-privacy, online infringements, defamation and reputation protection.
Prior to joining Harder Mirell & Abrams in January 2015, Seema worked on state and federal compliance, privacy, trademark, patent and business matters at Allergan, Inc. She has also worked in the High Technology Crimes Division of the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, where she dealt with complex governmental hacking, Internet and privacy issues.
AREAS OF PRACTICE:
ENTERTAINMENT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LITIGATION
- Profit participation, royalty and audit matters
- Right of Publicity
- Privacy Rights
- Theft of Idea
- Libel, slander and defamation
- First Amendment
GENERAL BUSINESS LITIGATION
- Breach of contract
- Business torts, including fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, constructive fraud, tortious interference with business relations, conversion, unjust enrichment and professional negligence
- Unfair competition and unfair business practices
- Electronic discovery
- Seema Ghatnekar, Injury by Algorithm: A Look into Google’s Liability for Defamatory Autocompleted Search Results, 33 LOY. L.A. ENT. L. REV. 171 (2013).
- Yahoo News: Jury awards Hulk Hogan $115 million in Gawker sex tape suit
- New York Times: Hulk Hogan Awarded $115 Million in Privacy Suit Against Gawker
- California, 2014
- United States Patent and Trademark Office, 2014
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Orange County Bar Association
- Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) Member and Volunteer